Today I’m reviewing Diamine Purple Rain ink. This is a Diamine Exclusive ink made specially for sale in Germany.
It’s a very saturated, very dark, blue-leaning, purple ink with heavy gold sheen. It doesn’t have so much sheen as the Organics Studio very high sheen inks, that means you need to dilute the ink before it will write properly, but has much more sheen than what you would call a “standard” ink.
It’s more blue and considerably darker than most purple inks that I have, and the gold sheen is very noticeable.
It didn’t suffer from any hard starts or non-starts when I put the uncapped pen down to do swab tests, dry times and water resistance. I like that about Diamine high sheen inks.
It dried quite quickly on most papers and once dry it didn’t smudge or smear. I tested for this by rubbing repeatedly across my writing.
I also wrote a letter on A4 Tomoe River paper, and turned over to write on the back when I got to the bottom of the page. It didn’t smear then either.
It wrote quite wet in my pens and I really enjoyed writing with it.
I hope that Prince might have approved. 🙂
With these high sheen inks showthrough and bleedthrough can sometimes be a problem on cheaper papers. There was a little showthrough on a couple of the papers I wrote on, although I could still have written on the reverse of all them with no problem.
The gold sheen is usually more visible when using pens with wet flow and broader nibs and can be paper dependant.
- Flow Rate: Very good.
- Lubrication: Very good.
- Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
- Start-up: Immediate.
- Saturation: Highly saturated ink.
- Shading Potential: Some shading seen with finer nibs or dry writing pens.
- Sheen: Plenty of gold sheen.
- Show-Through/Bleedthrough: Not a problem on the papers I used.
- Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not seen.
- Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen.
- Staining (pen): Not seen after several days in the pen – easy clean-up with water.
- Staining (hands): Easy clean-up.
- Clogging: Not seen in my pens. Probably pen dependent.
- Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof but has some water resistance.
- Availability: Exclusive to Germany and available in 30ml plastic bottles and 80ml glass bottles from: Fountainfeder.EU and Seitz-Kreuznach