Pelikan Edelstein Moonstone ink is the Pelikan Edelstein Ink of the Year for 2020. Moonstone is a silver grey dye based ink. On the box it’s called an Extra soft ink.
The cap is silver coloured rather than being the traditional black. I think that’s a really nice touch to go with the ink.
I found it flowed well in the pens I used it with and I saw plenty of shading with all of the nibs I used. I obviously had to fill my new Moonman C2 pen to try it in. 🙂
It looked slightly more saturated from my Moonman C2 pen with Jinhao M nib as that pen is an eye dropper filled pen. Lubrication felt very smooth, with no feedback, while writing across all of the papers I used. Moonstone didn’t feel dry or scratchy.
This is what Pelikan says about Moonstone:
The new shade of Edelstein Ink of the year 2020 Moonstone follows it’s name giver, the gem stone in silver-grey.
The gem stone moonstone also shares it’s name with the colour as it relates to the moon and it’s silver ray of moonlight. The light grey Edelstein ink gives all that is written a truly noble appearance. Soothing and mysterious are also descriptions sometimes related to the gem stone moonstone, characteristics which can also describe this new writing colour.
To further accentuate and highlight this new ink each Edelstein bottle has a silver matt cap. And so this new ink offers a special connection to the gem stone and planet moon, a perfect marriage for a truly distinctive look.
- Flow Rate: Good – Didn’t feel dry.
- Lubrication: Very smooth across the paper.
- Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
- Start-up: Immediate.
- Saturation: An unsaturated ink.
- Shading Potential: Lots of shading seen.
- Sheen: None seen.
- Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not seen.
- Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen.
- Show-Through/Bleed-Through: No more than most other inks I’ve tried on the papers I regularly use.
- Staining (pen): Not seen after several days in the pen – easy clean-up with water.
- Staining (hands): My hands were clean after one wash..
- Clogging: Not seen. Seems unlikely.
- Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof but has very good water resistance.
- Availability: Available in attractive 50ml glass bottles from many outlets.
My ink sample was very kindly sent to me by Pelikan in return for my unbiased review of it.