Cult Pens Matthew is one of the three new inks in the “Deep Dark” range that are made for Cult Pens by Diamine Inks. These three new inks are also included in the 16th birthday celebration set of Cult Pens 16 x 12ml inks.
Matthew is a reasonably saturated ink and is a straight dark grey that leans neither blue nor green. In fact it sits on the border between being a dark grey and an almost black ink.
I found it flowed well and felt quite wet with the pens I tried it in. Lubrication across the page felt nice and smooth.
I didn’t see much shading with the pens I used and there was no sheen.
My review sheet was written on Clairefontaine Triomphe 90gsm smooth coated white paper, and I saw no signs of feathering, spread or show-through. It behaved very well and dried quite quickly.
It didn’t stain my hands and was easily removed with one wash. It easily cleaned out of my pens with one flush in cool water.
Currently available in 80ml glass bottles, 30ml plastic bottles and 12ml bottles within the 16th birthday ink set from Cult Pens web-site.
Many thanks to Cult Pens for sending me this ink in exchange for me providing an unbiased review.
- Flow Rate: Good – quite wet.
- Lubrication: Good – smooth.
- Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
- Start-up: Immediate.
- Saturation: Quite saturated.
- Shading Potential: Not much shading seen.
- Sheen: None.
- Bleed-through/show-through: Slight or none on the papers I used.
- Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not seen on any paper I used.
- Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen even after several days in the pen.
- Staining (pen): Not seen after several days – very easy clean-up.
- Staining (hands): None. Washed off easily.
- Clogging: Not seen.
- Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof and shows no water resistance.