Today I’m reviewing Pilot Iroshizuku syo-ro ink.
Syo-ro translates from Japanese to “Dew on a Pine Tree” and it is a slightly blue leaning teal that is similar to the colour of a Pine tree. In the right pen with the right paper it can look more blue with a red sheen. You can see signs of some sheen when I wrote with the TWSBI Eco 1.1mm pen.
“The name “iroshizuku” is a combination of the Japanese words “iro” (colouring) expressing high standards and variation of colours, and “shizuku” (droplet), which embodies the very image of dripping water. Each ink name derives from the expressions of beautiful Japanese natural landscapes and plants, all of which contribute to the depth of each individual hue. Enjoy Japan’s rich and subtle colour aesthetic as you write. Pilot has always manufactured its own inks, which are renowned throughout the world.”
It didn’t suffer from any hard starts or non-starts when I put the uncapped pen down to do swab tests, dry times and water resistance. It started up straight away with no problem even after the pen had been filled for several days. It always behaved very well.
I have used this ink several times over the years and have always really liked it. I consider it an autumn/winter ink and one very suitable for writing Christmas cards. In my opinion it is one of the top three Pilot Iroshizuku inks and ought to be in every ink collection.
It dried within 20 seconds on my Clairefontaine Triomphe paper and didn’t smear after it was dry.
Available in attractive Pilot Iroshizuku 50ml or 15ml glass bottles from several outlets worldwide. Thank you to the Writing Desk for my sample.
- Flow Rate: Excellent – Feels wet.
- Lubrication: Very smooth – Well lubricated.
- Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
- Start-up: Immediate.
- Saturation: Medium saturation.
- Shading Potential: Some shading and some sheen seen.
- Show-Through: None seen on papers I used.
- Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: None seen.
- Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after several days in the pen.
- Staining (pen): Not seen after several days – fairly easy clean-up.
- Staining (hands): Washed off of my hands after two washes.
- Clogging: Not seen.
- Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof but shows good water resistance.