Today I’m reviewing TWSBI 1791 Pink ink. This is one of the TWSBI special edition inks that is available either in single 18ml bottles or as a set of 6 x 18ml bottles of different coloured inks.
“The 1791 series comes from a book written in China in the year 1791 called “Dream of Red Chambers”. It’s one of China’s 4 great classical novels and TWSBI picked colours out of the buildings and descriptions within this book for this series of inks.”
TWSBI Pink is a fairly pale and unsaturated slightly peachy leaning pink dye based ink that flowed well and felt reasonably wet through my pens, but I felt it too light a shade to write with for easy reading. Lubrication across the paper was smooth. I experienced no start-up problems even after leaving the cap off while I was doing dry times and comparison ink tests. I saw a little shading but no sheen.
My images are scanned. For TWSBI Pink getting the actual ink colour onto the images literally took me days. It started off as a bright purplish pink that was nothing like the ink. I have tried my best to ensure that the ink colour is as close as I can get it to the actual ink colour. It means that page lines may not be black and paper might not be it’s actual colour.
The main pen used for this review is a TWSBI Eco with 1.1mm stub nib as I wanted to check how well the ink would clean out of TWSBI piston filling pens. I found that the ink cleaned out easily and it washed off of my hands easily.
Thanks to The Writing Desk for supplying this sample for review purposes.
- Flow Rate: Very good. Reasonably wet.
- Lubrication: Smooth.
- Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
- Start-up: Immediate.
- Saturation: Unsaturated ink.
- Shading:Some shading seen.
- Sheen: None seen.
- Bleed-through/show-through: None seen.
- Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not seen.
- Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen.
- Staining (pen): Not seen – easy clean-up with water.
- Staining (hands): Easy to wash off hands.
- Clogging: Not seen. Seems unlikely.
- Water resistance: Not sold as waterproof and has low water resistance.
- Availability: Available in 18ml bottles and as a combo pack of 6 bottles from The Writing Desk and other stores.